Points instead of Rolling?

TheFirstTrupain

Points instead of Rolling?

Postby TheFirstTrupain » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but could anyone explain why we use points instead of rolling? I get having that +1 is kind of cool but it makes it hard for certain races to be good at certain classes.

It seems for Melee classes it's like "Pick a race with good Str, Agi, and End and you're good to go". However with classes like a Druid who uses so many stats it's almost impossible to play as anything you want.

Actually rolling the character with amazing stats always got me more excited than hitting 25.

Mujahideen

Re: Points instead of Rolling?

Postby Mujahideen » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Rolling is easily hackable.

Topic closed.
Troll. I am here to create the issues that plague the game, I will push your buttons and like the outcome.

Terron

Postby Terron » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm

points system is more efficient. for instance if you rolled a perfect ling or dark elf it wouldnt be comparable.

however, i do agree the crappy stat builds need to be adjusted to where the gap of power doesn't make the characters unplayable. granted im saying playable, not optimal.
i think agility keeps the hard hitting str races pretty balanced, the rest that falter in both have good MR(for the most part, dark elf and halfling are good at everything, but hard to manage with points)

magic isnt even close, noone could use a 14 int spellcaster for anything.
(it is possible to give some races weird abilities to offset the negatives as long as they are in check, but that's really up to nitehawk. he could keep them as hidden* bonuses but i think hes pretty open about everything game related.)

here's an example:
drake-blood:
boon of drakes - -25% fizzles
drake channeling - +3 per character level to healing spells
Fury of Dragons - (fury for damage spells(beam/ray etc) with increasing fizzle chance instead of hit rate)

Half Orc:
Anger of Orcs - spell output is increased by the half orcs str score
Brash Superiority - fizzle rate is based off the half orcs str score instead of int.
Boon of Outcasts - spells targeting half orcs or yourself are 25% stronger
Stupidity - only receive half of class MR bonus.

just some ideas.
Last edited by Terron on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

dunky

Postby dunky » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't really get your comparison between druids and other classes. Rolling would be even more difficult to get what you want.

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm

The roller is easily hackable, and considering we already have a horrible amount of people cheating as it is, we don't need to basically encourage them to do it more if they want to even be able to play.

Terron wrote:drake-blood:
boon of drakes - -25% fizzles
drake channeling - +3 per character level to healing spells
Fury of Dragons - (fury for damage spells(beam/ray etc) with increasing fizzle chance instead of hit rate)

Drakebloods are supposed to be basically shit for magical purposes, as relevant to the lore (in universe they have no "spark" to allow them to use magic, any drakeblood mages are going to be bad at it to be lore appropriate).
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Terron

Postby Terron » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:15 pm

was just a thought, i havent seen any lore on the race, it was a non descript on the wiki last i checked. drake seems like a false lead in that sense. granted even with every ability i proposed the drakeblood would still be a horrible caster and subpar healer with nearly no mana compared to other staple races, but useable to the extent of cancelling out a bit of the bad.

it's your game do whatever, most players are min/maxers anyway, so making 144 character choices useful opposed to 30, isnt affecting many players. it is, however, a waste of content.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:32 am

The short version is that drakebloods are magically created crossbreeds between dragons and high magic races such as elves, gnomes, and elementals, as low magic races can't contain the dragon's blood. The magic that originally created them can't create what let's the mortal races use magic, while the mortal parts of them can't use magic like dragons can.

Also, I just write the lore, if Chris decides to change up how they work, I bullshit in some stuff about how they've been evolving. 8-)
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:08 am

I don't see eye to eye with how characters are created, I understand there can be some tweaks, but some races going to be worse off than others in certain areas.

The rolling system will never be a thing though. There will be other things in the future that will help define characters though. May explain it in the near future.

Personally, regardless of what people are saying about the POINT system, there are alot of differences in characters from what I can see. They may only differ from a couple points, but to each their own regarding it.

Rolling only stresses out players though. No one wants to have to spend 6 hours to get a decent character because lacking AGI, STR, etc in any build means you will keep rolling until you get it. In ROK people spent hours after their first character to get the 'best' or used a autoroller, which was the most common thing to do. Though I know some people liked it, alot of others liked it because it was an easy way for them to auto roll characters and gain money.

There should be other methods that will define characters. Level 25-50 will bring in some more differences where you can adjust your character a little more stat wise, and there will be some other things too when I get around to it.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Personally, for what its worth, i quite like the system as is..
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

Mujahideen

Postby Mujahideen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:09 pm

JadeFalcon wrote:Personally, for what its worth, i quite like the system as is..

Me too.

I think the +1 stat is good for variation. I'm interested in knowing what ideas the bossman has to add on to that.
Troll. I am here to create the issues that plague the game, I will push your buttons and like the outcome.

Return to “Archive Chat”