Drop Stealing

Rodeo

Re: Drop Stealing

Postby Rodeo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 am

If people continue to keep posting things unrelated to this topic they are gonna receive a forum ban and possibly ingame ban this is your last warning. It's not my job to police adults.

This isn't a he said she said or someone did something topic it's about how to remedy the problem. If you feel the need or urge to take a jab at someone keep it to yourself.

This is the face of our community. Act accordingly.

Aftershock

Postby Aftershock » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:04 am

Drop stealing will happen in any game and i don't think there is a way round it other than to have item drop into inventory. However, rael pointed out that you can be back with 10 seconds once you have died.

I was a Nightmist player for 15-16 years and as far as i can go back in my memory, when we died our soul stayed in the ethereal plain for a period of time. This made it tough while PKing on the 1-alt server because it was horendous to regroup as people died seperate times making it minutes until you could reach the destination again.

Proposal would be to add something of the sort here.

This could also make use of Priests/Death Mages/Sorcs for the Dragon and others implemented in future.
Will obviously make it more PK too!

Writing this on my phone so if jumbled sorry.
Aftershock

Folder

Postby Folder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am

@Anthriel. That's a pretty interesting idea, I like the potential. Will have to think about it a bit more.

lol at the incoming forum/game bans, we got some real internet tough guys in here.
<Silhouette>

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:58 am

The scales thing isn't a bad idea, If there is multiple drops it gives people a chance to collect and not just one person since it's probably technically multiple people spamming the get key anyways. I like that idea alot.

The crimson dragon doesn't need to have OP amounts of HP too with the scale. For example, a crimson dragon could have about 2 weeks worth of health instead, but drop less scales as the same one in a month would drop. This means that the World walkers actually die every week or every other week and it feels like higher progression. Obviously this would mean you can't craft a crimson item with just ONE kill, but it would allow more of a trade between the actual crimson scale items . Aka a market for them.

The items honestly need to be modified though. The sword is OP for example because it only takes one turn when you miss, so your effectively increasing your hit rate by a ton as it only takes two turns on a successful hit (it's double damage, for two turns, but miss only takes one.) Increases your total damage a huge ton due to that simple fact, way more then the other items would ever give you.

But the crimson items were made pre-wipe. They do need a little balancing too. Something ill figure out in a little while

Folder

Postby Folder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15 am

Yes the swords needs balancing to be sure, it's not being used currently but it's obviously OP. I do think it's a good thing to have rare powerful items with unique abilities, but this one is likely too much.

The staff doesn't feel bad though, seems in line to me. No idea about the other drops.
<Silhouette>

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:56 am

How would the scales work, would they be split up into the party?
Also... again what about support classes (if it is split up into party it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but it would still encourage dps classes - because each person not hitting means less scales so there would need to be something that would make support classes needed)?
Also would the thieves ability have an affect on this?
Last edited by daedroth on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

dunky

Postby dunky » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:18 am

Are there any spells that cause exhaust status? Could definitely be abused, but if the system is left intact then I kind of think a spell with a low-mid accuracy that exhausts the drop stealer fits in with the world and gives the current system a bit more variety. If you could manage to track down a drop stealer and exhaust him, you have a chance to kill and take the stolen item. If you don't kill him during the exhaust, the thief will get away and he wins. Just trying to build off previous ideas and make them feel more useful.

Folder

Postby Folder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:41 pm

dunky wrote:Are there any spells that cause exhaust status? Could definitely be abused, but if the system is left intact then I kind of think a spell with a low-mid accuracy that exhausts the drop stealer fits in with the world and gives the current system a bit more variety. If you could manage to track down a drop stealer and exhaust him, you have a chance to kill and take the stolen item. If you don't kill him during the exhaust, the thief will get away and he wins. Just trying to build off previous ideas and make them feel more useful.

Not currently. I rather like the idea of a bind/root/exhaust spell, but in practicality 1 round is not long to kill someone unless you're going at them with a group. You'd also have to have superhuman reflexes to hit someone with it before they dash off. Towns are rarely more than 5 seconds away which makes it even harder.

There's no real CC ingame currently, do we even want it? It's a good debate topic I think.
<Silhouette>

Styx

Postby Styx » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 pm

How many countless posts on old rock forums about drop theft?

Can I get to complain about the endless times I got drop stolen from also from then, and we should all realize it will happen in current game also

The mechanics was left because a Brigand is a Thief and supposed to steal items was the answer back then. So we are now becoming a more gentle community.

If it's that big of an issue then I guess it can be changed so KS has item into inv if open slot. Otherwise it drops on ground.

Nice to see more work added to staff after nighthawk gave a year to do list like everyone asked. Leave night hawk be Imo. Poor dude busy enough trying to keep up the way it is let alone redo entire system and a new client.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:39 pm

daedroth wrote:How would the scales work, would they be split up into the party?
Also... again what about support classes (if it is split up into party it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but it would still encourage dps classes - because each person not hitting means less scales so there would need to be something that would make support classes needed)?
Also would the thieves ability have an affect on this?

My original thought was that a stack of them just drop on ground and ppl can pick up / drop steal (but only 1 at time, not whole stack)... thus whoever is still alive when dragon dies/leaves can get some of the shared benefit (or try to kill each other to get it all, hence preserving PVP competitiveness)... to me it made sense in also helping newbies, smaller guilds or individuals without guilds... i mean even as a new player at a lower level it would be worth going to see the dragon and risking death in order to grab a very valuable scale or 2 (which i maybe could trade for better equip from ppl collecting to make the sword/armour etc)... this would keep me engaged in worldboss-hunting even at lower levels ... especially when it seems like all the other experienced players are off enjoying endgame content i havent progressed far enough to participate in yet (eg due to level locks on things like the dreadlands etc)... makes it less boring for a new players playing amongst veterans with several lvl 25 crits who are usually off doing fun stuff while they are stuck grinding exp to get to a level where they can participate in interesting things (usually only achievable after weeks/months of effort, before which time they may have decided to quit/give up already cos there was nothing entertaining to do to breakup the grind or have hope in to fast-track themselves to better equip/progression)

Alternatively if you want you could have (as you sort of suggested daedroth) 1 scale automatically drop in the inventory of each person still alive when the dragon dies/leaves... which removes the spamming of /get macros and leaves it up to attempting to quickly kill each other for it (as the scale should be rigged to drop 100% of time if killed)..

Shrug i dont know... im just trying to think of a system that keeps a new players, smaller guilds and lone-wolfs interested (so they dont quit cos they cant participate meaningfully) and also does not inevitably lead to many people getting frustrated/disheartened (and potentially eventually quitting) because there is no 'fulfilment' to working on a worldboss (which should be one of the most engaging and exciting mechanics of a game)

Basically given the low playerbase and general consensus that attracting a bigger playerbase would make it better for everyone... i think EO would really want to do everything possible mechanics-wise to make the game as fulfilling and participatory as possible for all levels of players... to that end i do thank NiteHawk for reading my original suggestion and giving it appropriate consideration... hopefully something that achieves these aims can be implemented before its too late and the game's initial goodwill is lost to existing players and before new ones can be attracted sufficiently .... cos no new player really wants to invest in playing in a game with no-one online (ie dead) or with only the same X ppl online who are all in 1 guild and super progressed either (too intimidating to be the 'outsider' to the 'in-crowd' and ultimately boring without the endgoal of competition)

Return to “Archive Chat”