Drop Stealing

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Drop Stealing

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:36 am

Drop stealing is a thing. It is what it is regarding it. I apologize that people get upset over it, but it's a game mechanic that will be around.

I can understand some people are upset about the crimson sword, from what I hear, and right now it's not going to adjust. However, in the future, the item will be awarded to the kill shot most likely (and drop if your inventory is full.) Which will be more fair. There is something about most damage and such but that would involve alot of work for little payout right now.

Right now the above does not occur, and it will be as it is until we adjust how some items can be adjusted. I apologize if people want a set thing 'right now' but it takes time to adjust things like this.

Thanks.

daedroth

Re: Drop Stealing

Postby daedroth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:41 am

That would not be entirely fair either. How many times has someone got something critical, someone else jumps in and kills it with 1 round of attacks and expects the item because they got ks?

With regards to the Crimson blade: I believe one clan got it critical before another clan bothered to attack it. The killer also died just after (or just as) the dragon died (not sure if any of his clan members were present at that time).
Last edited by daedroth on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 am

daedroth wrote:That would not be entirely fair either. How many times has someone got something critical, someone jumps in and kills it with 1 round of attacks and expects the item because they got ks?

Better then drop stealing.

The whole most damage thing won't be a thing for a very long time though. A kill shot would probably be at least better. I don't think the most damage works well either, as they won't be there when the item needs to be dropped sometimes too. Awarding it through a telegram seems really odd. It will remove the reason to kill it by others cept a few at a certain point, aka will never be killed because people don't care if they didn't start on it from the get go. And we aren't awarding multiple things.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 am

NiteHawk wrote:Better then drop stealing.

The whole most damage thing won't be a thing for a very long time though. A kill shot would probably be at least better. I don't think the most damage works well either, as they won't be there when the item needs to be dropped sometimes too. Awarding it through a telegram seems really odd. It will remove the reason to kill it by others cept a few at a certain point, aka will never be killed because people don't care if they didn't start on it from the get go. And we aren't awarding multiple things.

I do not think it is better than drop stealing.
In a way it would also be harder to deal with. With drop stealers you still have a chance of picking up the item before they swipe. With kill stealers you would need to kill them before they got ks or ignore them and hope you get ks. But meh.

The world monsters are more problematic because of the amount of health they have. What about most damage done by the person/party who are there (or within a square - because assassin mechanic is icky) at the time it dies? Or have damage done record "disintergrate" over time?

Also why would anyone bother to get a creature like the crimson dragon to critical, if they know they can just wait until some other sap gets it is critical and then hopefully get the ks and then the item straight into their inventory? This is similar to your argument actually :)

Also! Wouldn't it also mean that people would be more likely to go for it straight away and keep going for it for the same reason? As in: "all the damage I am doing will get stored, so I better get stuck in". Then you could implement the whoever has done it most damage AND is in the area when it dies gets the item. If the person who has done the most damage overall is not there, then it goes to the next person who is there.
OR! They need to just be online, but the item drops from the dragon - they are informed and they have a timer to get there to grab it otherwise it becomes free for all.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:13 am

The issue with most damage done is simply that no one will do it anymore I would think because people would realize they aren't getting the weapon and they wouldn't bother. Sure; I can add a couple small things it awards but generally I'm not sure about it. Maybe PP awards on top of it too, maybe people would do it then regardless of the item. Disintegration over time seems like a hassle and I'm not really interested in doing that though.

Well, people technically still kill he dragon 'to' get it to critical, but yeah, more people will join in once it is critical.

The whole dual most damage plus in the area seems like a weird thing IMHO. I don't think that's a good idea either.

Regardless, I just think that items being awarded through the telegram box for most damage seems a bit, boring in a sense, and weird. But I guess I could come up with some sort of RP thing for it if that is the case.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:42 am

I still think the most damage would encourage people to go for it. Also how would they know who has done the most damage? Keep that hidden, that way no one will know and people would carry on in the hope. It is also fairer for the people who actually go for it for total damage to have an impact.

One problem is how to make it fair for all the various time zones... Anyway I am going to shut up about it. I am sure others will comment on it once their time zone allows :D
I love sheep.

Folder

Postby Folder » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 am

Crimson Dragon is one place that should be free for all, please. It's a PvP hotspot, it's a "drop steal" hotspot. Let it be man.

Please don't cater everything to whiners, or else the game will just be dull. Some people want a pve game where all you do is tap f1 repeatedly on monsters to level up a character, then you do it again on another character. Well forget that that's boring as hell. Give me some fighting and conflict please.

In this specific example do you really think that someone who gets a lucky hit on a mob that takes WEEKS to kill "deserves" the item? Garbage. If you do this expect the dragon to take a very, very long time to die because there's no motivation to hack at it until it's nearly dead, in the hopes you're the lucky last hit. It will also discourage PvP because everyone will simply be hitting the mob hoping for loot to appear in their inventory.

My suggestion? Dragon is hella fun as is, it's the most fun thing in the game imo. Leave it be.

edit: another point worth mentioning. KS highly favors classes like ninjas, zerkers and slayers. Do they deserve extra credit for loot over support classes? I think not, but this ensures they do. Now you could definitely argue that clans should be sharing loot they get, but I don't expect that is always the case. Why would someone want to bring a priest and heal when they can bring a heavy hitter and just hope for the KS? Blech this is just a bad idea all around.
<Silhouette>

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:32 am

I'll assume someone drop stole someone - can we be told who did it? I dont know.

Anyhow, whoever was involved: THOUGH.
Folder is right, this isn't the realm of nice people. Is it unfair you worked a whole week to try to kill the Crimson Dragon and someone came and stole the drop? Boo hoo. Life isn't fair. At least this is just a computer game.

So i say - no changes to the current system.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 am

From a player stand point and being part of group who did the ost damage to it that itnis very unfair. Silh killed the first dragon that dropped crimson staff with almost no one else attacking it. The 2nd kill was silh all the way to crit. Then another guild ran in the last few days and got the kill. Simple fact is that anyone one of them could made a macro but did not mainly because they thought that the item was going to be handed to them. We had actually talked long ago that items should never be direct to inventory chris I think it needs to stay that way. We will either have people not killing the dragon or when it hits crit or you will have people bring parties of priests in to heal it back to full. This who crybaby sugarcoating Need's to stop. Nightmist multi server when no pk by admin for years and it helped partly destroy that game and it's looking like this is a step in that direction.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 am

JadeFalcon wrote:I'll assume someone drop stole someone - can we be told who did it? I dont know.

Anyhow, whoever was involved: THOUGH.
Folder is right, this isn't the realm of nice people. Is it unfair you worked a whole week to try to kill the Crimson Dragon and someone came and stole the drop? Boo hoo. Life isn't fair. At least this is just a computer game.

So i say - no changes to the current system.

Aight Jade, story is this. Silh got dragon critical. When critical Def started attacking it. Some Def guy (cannot remember the name) got KS. Someone from Silh picked up dropped item, and Silh kept.

Now you are up to date.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”