All of my RAGE

What system would you like in place for rage?

Poll ended at Tue May 24, 2016 5:20 am

1a
14%
1b
No votes
1c
57%
1d
No votes
29%
OTHER (Specify)
No votes

Total votes: 7
NiteHawk
Site Admin

All of my RAGE

Postby NiteHawk » Thu May 19, 2016 5:20 am

I didn't want to keep a poll on the Zerker post so let's keep this separate.

One thing I have an issue with currently is zerkers. Them having 3x attack and harder to hit doesn't really bode well with proper AGI and high damage characters. I also want them to be a decent addition in any PVP or PVE side as all classes should be, not just PVE.

*rage* was one of the last additions to ROK. By no means do we have to use it, or we can change the way zerkers work. (Most of the other classes I feel work fine and won't be changed so much for now.) I will just get to it and describe what we can do.

1. Keep the current system, which involves 3 successful hits and then you are in rage mode until you miss and:
-1a. 25%-50% more damage while raged, and 20% more dodge.
-1b. 25%-50% more damage while raged, and increase armor by 50% while raged (I.E: you will take less damage, but you won't dodge any differently.)
-1c. 25%-50% more damage while raged, no change to armor/dodge.
-1d. No attack bonus, but you gain armor or dodge while raging.

Please remembers zerkers base damage is damin high. 1.5x on a zerker is going to be plenty of damage, trust me. We can also lessen the successful hits to 2 to get into rage mode as well if it needs to be easier. Additionally, there might be some 'two hand weapons' in the future. (not dual wielding.)

The above system feels like it's always going to be way more useful in PVE because of how zerkers work, but we can still add it no worries if people feel like they like that. I'll try to balance it as best I can.

Please note, I do NOT want to impose any negative effects while being in rage. NEGATIVE EFFECTS should not be random, they should be controlled. Going into rage on your last attack and having less dodge would be highly annoying, and pretty dumb in my books of making a workable class.

-----------

2. New system, the 'rage' bar. It takes over the MP bar, and instead, starts at 0. When you attack, you gain 'rage' (up to a maximum, lets say 20 rage points). You might have 2-3 special rage attacks and each attack will typically take up 5 rage points. Rage goes down as you move around (-1 per movement), or over time (Every 10 seconds?). The above would make the class semi-active, meaning you can build your rage up and launch a few harder attacks, or do it as soon as you get the rage points.

This is where negatives effects can actually play if you use rage points. For example, going into rage could cause negative effects for 5 seconds (lets say -20% less armor), so it would be better to build up your rage points instead of using it soon as you have. It makes the class a little bit strategic played.

As I said, they should have lets say 1-3 different rage attacks or buffs that can be used. Let's say a few simple examples would be 1.5x damage, 50% more armor, or a way to temporarily lower a players armor for 15-20 seconds (which would include a normal 1.0 damage hit.)

----

The rage system is already in place, but I am undecided if I will remove the coding yet. It's not a big deal to me either or. I'll go with the most popular.

Lateralus

Re: All of my RAGE

Postby Lateralus » Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 am

I like how simple the rage system is and how its similar to the monk attack system so I would like 1 to be the go to. However when I think of Rage I think of more damage and I understand they are going to be doing a ton of damage so maybe its best C is the answer and they just do a bit more damage every hit and it becomes even more simple (dropping the extra armor).

Kawasaki

Postby Kawasaki » Sat May 21, 2016 9:25 am

I might be nitpicking but I don't really like the name rage... it doesn't make sense to me. I mean I just hit something 3 times in a row, I am filled with adrenaline I am stoked! I am not mad at the fact that I am awesome.

The idea of rage makes me feel like hey I just missed something 5 times in a row I wanna throw my mouse at my screen.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Sat May 21, 2016 11:24 am

Im thinking movement should cancel rage as well.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sat May 21, 2016 11:38 am

Kawasaki wrote:I might be nitpicking but I don't really like the name rage... it doesn't make sense to me. I mean I just hit something 3 times in a row, I am filled with adrenaline I am stoked! I am not mad at the fact that I am awesome.

The idea of rage makes me feel like hey I just missed something 5 times in a row I wanna throw my mouse at my screen.

It's technically 'a flurry of blows' but as I wrote I don't have any means of adjusting the messages yet.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Sat May 21, 2016 11:50 am

Getting carried away in a fit of rage.

Kawasaki

Postby Kawasaki » Sat May 21, 2016 12:08 pm

NiteHawk wrote:
Kawasaki wrote:I might be nitpicking but I don't really like the name rage... it doesn't make sense to me. I mean I just hit something 3 times in a row, I am filled with adrenaline I am stoked! I am not mad at the fact that I am awesome.

It's technically 'a flurry of blows' but as I wrote I don't have any means of adjusting the messages yet.

I like that better :)

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Sat May 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Kawasaki wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:

I like that better :)

I think the lookover just said you were in RAGE and yea it was something like you launch flurry blows or something idk.

alvarlux

Postby alvarlux » Sat May 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Traditionally Zerkers in games have exchanged being hit for more damage.

Monks get the bonus hit when they connect - they are so fast and skilled they have time for fancy moves.

Zerkers should be more about being seemingly unstoppable powerhouses swinging huge weapons with little care for their well being. At first i was going to say we should have Rage kick in when you are hit, but this would punish higher agi Zerkers, and make PvP terrible "please roundhouse me, or BS me twice so I can turn on my special... and I'm dead."

I think maybe moving to the rage bar would be better. Everytime you hit, you gain a bit of rage (+5) - everytime you are hit you gain lots of rage (+10 or +15). Split the rage bar into 4 sections: Normal, Annoyed, Angry, Furious. as you Move up into each section you get a increasing bonus to dmg output and dmg absorb?

0-19 Rage: Normal
20-44 Rage: Annoyed
45-69 Rage: Angry
70-100 Rage: Furious

Annoyed: 20% dmg, 20% bonus armor (need to go back and look at the armor math again in other thread)
Angry: 35% dmg, 35% bonus armor
Furious: 50% dmg, 50% bonus armor

Rage bar would tick down over time, and reduce on non-aggressive actions (eating, potion, etc.). Maybe even lose rage when you get healed? (should be slightly less then getting hit, so -7 or -12) the more aggressive we make the tick down, the more aggressive we should be granting points towards rage.

thirdchris

Postby thirdchris » Sun May 22, 2016 12:06 pm

I think it would be pretty sick if, when zerkers died, they automatically give one last attack and do damage based on how much rage is left in their rage bar.

Return to “Archive Chat”