Adding specific use to various weapon types

Yue

Adding specific use to various weapon types

Postby Yue » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:23 am

I had a nice introduction text but I accidentally scratched it :( We were thinking on ways to make 1H vs 2H and Single vs Dual wield more useful and interesting in the game. This can help make more interesting builds, have more motivation to look for different weapon types, more areas, and even have more uses for embers (as we would have them on more weapons).

- 1H Sword: Parry
- 2H Sword: Parry and AOE
- 1H Axe: DoT
- 2H Axe: DoT and AOE
- Dual Sword: Extra Parry and a chance of connecting a double hit
- Dual Axe: Extra DoT and a chance of connecting a double hit
- 1H staff (Mage using classes): As it is now, perhaps nerf damage a bit and implement the use of shields/light shields for more survivability
- 2H staff: As it is now, or perhaps boost damage a bit, or perhaps boost the effects of embers

Blunt weapons can be separated into claws and hammers, which can have specific purposes, thinking of melee oriented builds. Blunt weapon diff. can also help make different druid builds.

- Hammers: Can amplify magic damage, buffs, healing and in the case of paladins, damage absorb with protect
- Claws: I'm having a hard time thinking of something here because if I think of terms of melee improvements for druids they might be slightly OP. So perhaps we might need to think something specific for clerics and something diff. for druids. Maybe an added damage multiplier to promote battle priests? DoT could work and would make sense on a druid but a lot of other things might have to be nerfed first.

We can think of somehow adding 2H staves to monks too.

- 1H Staves: Allows for dual wield to give an extra turn
- 2H Staves: No extra turn but perhaps give them parry

I'm sure you guys can come up with something for daggers. (single vs dual wield of course, 2H daggers haha XD)

So yeah let me know what you guys think.

Tucker

Re: Adding specific use to various weapon types

Postby Tucker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:17 pm

I think the separators might have to be more subtle than what you're proposing since balancing stuff like AOE attacks and parry would be ridiculous - I think those would be really cool to add but likely on specific classes not just for anyone dual wielding or 2h wielding.

I was thinking about some stuff for Cavs and Zerkers where like say a Zerker gets slightly more dmg from equivalent dual wielded swords vs 2h weapons but what if they got a unique attack or passive proc from 2h weapons that would make them worthwhile or comparable. Possibly -armor proc or a -armor active that costs two stam or something. Or potentially a 2stam stun ability that stuns for a couple of ticks IF it hits but has a long cooldown or something. Or perhaps if 2h weapon dmg is = to dual-wielding each option could have a unique active or passive that does different things (low duration stun for 2h and -AC for dual perhaps).

Cavs could perhaps get an incentive for 2h weapons of some sort.

I really think that instead of adding a bunch of unique things for underused weapon options we just remove weapons from classes that never use them. Like certain classes will never use certain weapon types and trying to balance it all is a pain in the ass and likely to never pan-out. Just remove all of the unused weapon types from all classes to leave them all with 1-2 options. Every class will have their most efficient weapon and trying to fight that is an uphill battle - plus why would every class in theory be trained with this wide array of less efficient weapons. The only downside to this I could see would be role-play ppl being sad I guess, but I'm not sure if there are any that would care?

Return to “Archive Chat”