Knapsacks

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Knapsacks

Postby NiteHawk » Sun May 22, 2016 3:46 am

Lateralus wrote:If we are looking at it as strictly a storage issue right now then with stacking we can hold more items than we ever could in rok even if you ran 10 knapsacks. Everything that could go in knaps already stacks so its like each item is its own knapsack.

Looking at the rp aspect I did love knaps it was sweet to kill someone find their knap and find a bunch of crap in there and so on. As a builder it was cool to have npcs drop knaps with stuff in them and have different slotted and named knaps for sale in towns.

One thing that does through off the whole thing was the ability to have SB'd knaps to keep your stuff safe. I really dont have an answer for that without knaps. I guess with tabbed knaps you could have knaps that were sbed and you would have to make sure you put your stuff in there?

I just know that anymore than say 1-2 knaps (tabbed or not) and its really going to be overkill its basically like you are going to be able to hold hundreds of items when you consider stacking.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking a knapsack could virtually be 1 max, and then you could upgrade it. It would simply start off with +1 slot, maybe maximum of 6 extra slots for 18 items. Something like that.

You'll be able to upgrade/downgrade knapacks without removal of all items long as the total knapsack inventory count is lower then the items you have in the knapsack, but swapping knapsacks won't mean extra knapsack items, just that your actual item slots increase.

All items can be balanaced in the future to how many you can actually stack too. It's a config in each item which is very nice. 3-5 is normally a nice limit for potions. 10-20 could be for sellables (useless junk), food probably 3-5 as well.

thirdchris

Postby thirdchris » Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 am

Games these days generally have cooldowns on things like potions or medpacks to avoid balancing issues when calculating fight difficulty. I think making one equippable knapsack has merit. I think 12 slots is fine, and it can be something you're able to upgrade later.

Maker

Postby Maker » Mon May 23, 2016 10:28 am

I like where this is going. If we're retaining stackable items, than 1 knapsack with say 6-12 slots slots would be more than enough.

I also think that considering a cool down for potions wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. With old RoK, fights would quite frequently turn into a contest of who has the most potions on them at the time. However balancing this for both leveling and OaDs as well would be difficult to say the least.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Mon May 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Maker wrote:I like where this is going. If we're retaining stackable items, than 1 knapsack with say 6-12 slots slots would be more than enough.

I also think that considering a cool down for potions wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. With old RoK, fights would quite frequently turn into a contest of who has the most potions on them at the time. However balancing this for both leveling and OaDs as well would be difficult to say the least.

thats how i feel on both points. potions were really abused in the past and if they are going to stack its going to be even more crazy. Now that food/water should fill the void of pve and leveling restoring it wouldnt be too crazy but even with that said this really does change the game dynamic a ton. Maybe it would be best to mess with down the road once we have other things balanced? now that food

As for the knaps I feel like most think 1 would be good with a range of expansion from 6-12.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:08 pm

I agree with one knapsack maximum.. however... how about other carrying gear.
Pouch, bandalier, sack. Each of which could carry x amount of items based on size. Probably be a pain in the ass to implement a encumbtrance system aye? Thatd make things better. Then you would be limited on what you could carry based on item and container size (and str?)... to technical.
But with an encumbrance system then you would be limited in how much gear/potions etc you could carry ( i dont think worn armour should count towards encumbrance?)... just ideas...
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:56 pm

I don't really like encumbrance systems in MUD based games. There needs to be a limit in this type of game, you don't want people with a large amount of potions for example, even if theres a high limit. I think it's fine this way anyways.

I also don't want to much around with a weight system either as it just over complicates things in a system that's pretty simple as is.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Changed this comment.

With item stacking, i think maybe 1 container would be enough. Just a variability in sizes to choose from.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”