Protect

Thoth

Protect

Postby Thoth » Sat May 21, 2016 9:23 pm

The way /protect could work is that it forces an auto-attack against the attacking party (say I protect Muja...BP attacks Muja autodefense engages if protect is up but as a temporary extra Endurance action) to a 60 percent your normal attack without eating an Endurance action. BP attacks me it would be a normal attack. If I am exhausted then there could be a disadvantage built in to suffer for being exhausted while having your protected charge attacked.

We were thinking because of 1alt that guardians lose an edge in common use as they mostly become useful in OADs and quests really at a point. So they should get an edge like some of these other classes are getting to make them more charming in use....which brings up another discussion of undead bonus and how that might work....
Thoth, the original creator of the video game.

Driab wrote:What good is power if you can't use it when it is completely unnecessary?

Also....Thoth = Byr

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Protect

Postby NiteHawk » Sun May 22, 2016 3:54 am

Thoth wrote:The way /protect could work is that it forces an auto-attack against the attacking party (say I protect Muja...BP attacks Muja autodefense engages if protect is up but as a temporary extra Endurance action) to a 60 percent your normal attack without eating an Endurance action. BP attacks me it would be a normal attack. If I am exhausted then there could be a disadvantage built in to suffer for being exhausted while having your protected charge attacked.

We were thinking because of 1alt that guardians lose an edge in common use as they mostly become useful in OADs and quests really at a point. So they should get an edge like some of these other classes are getting to make them more charming in use....which brings up another discussion of undead bonus and how that might work....

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying you do /protect Muja, BP attacks him, and the damage is only 60%. Not including any additional things right now like exhaust.

Should the other 40% go to the guardian? Should it just be removed completely?

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Sun May 22, 2016 8:16 am

I honestly didnt have a problem with how /protect was because i loved pking and it made them super easy targets. If you choose to protect someone you were going to pay the price haha. I understand if you wanted to keep it simple and maybe just increase the dodge a little bit (find a good median where the pally still pays the price in pvp but it is still somewhat useful).

Maybe you could do something like if a player was being protected it calculates the chance to hit off the player being protected?

level 5 bob is protected by level 25 frank. level 20 tyler attacks level 5 bob but he is protected so any hit that was going to hit him now hits level 25 frank?

thirdchris

Postby thirdchris » Sun May 22, 2016 11:16 am

If we had to choose between the first version of protect or the second, I'd take the first every time. Generally, games just have a guardian take half the damage of the target being protected in PvP, and a damage/threat reduction in PvE. In this case, I'd just split the damage but have it run through the guardian's own mitigation, so the guardian still has a chance to dodge/resist it.

Thoth

Postby Thoth » Mon May 23, 2016 7:17 am

More just meant in a 1alt atmosphere all these other classes are inheriting advantages so Guardian should too. As they once stood Guardians were most useful in leveling. Now since 1alt their usefulness will fall off except in OADs as weak hitters/healers by comparison to any other hitter or healer or in Quests if one happens to call for a protect. That said the attempt in trying to adjust their protect is just a means to make them somewhat more useful or atleast remotely interesting for a player to want to level in a 1alt environment especially considering there has always been a disadvantage to leveling some classes and especially will be here considering the dropoff in usefulness of some of them. That said

Byr protects Muja.

BP attacks Muja. Instead of Byr standing in the way and having a chance to JUST take damage. Byr automatically attacks back as an action that does not count against the 2 currently in his green bar. Generally in DnD if you rush forward to attack a mob you get an attack of opportunity because you are running toward them (That is what BP has done here...runs up ant attacks Muja since Byr protects Byr gets an attack of opportunity). This would be no different and does not count as an action against Byr. The damage, since it is only "reaction damage" Byr is causing to BP, is at 60 percent to normal damage. If Byr is exh while BP attacks Muja that means I can't take a reaction shot to jump in front Of Muja sword drawn to attack back. So then there needs to be a penalty like say Protect not working during the time I am exh or something...
Thoth, the original creator of the video game.

Driab wrote:What good is power if you can't use it when it is completely unnecessary?

Also....Thoth = Byr

damaji

Postby damaji » Mon May 23, 2016 10:04 pm

In that case, if a Guardian is protecting another player, they can use 3 of their attacks to return fire on the assailing party, heal themselves or their own party, and any hit that they return to your protected character will receive a 60% damage riposte from you, essentially? That would add up to a lot of damage to the assailing party if you wisely didn't let yourself exh and just wait for your next stam regain. Also, the assailing party would get wise to this and tear apart the Guardian instead.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Mon May 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Pally / guards are already going to be the most op in the game since they will be the best solo class (good damage, top armor and good heal).

I understand guards were hard to play in pvp while protecting but you guys seem to be forgetting they were OP and auto include for every PvE activity (They were a must include for pretty much every oad thats bad design and is wayy too op in my book).

I wouldnt mind seeing their pve toned down a bit and their pvp buffed a bit. I am not sure how it would work but as Chris said at one point maybe add a bit more dodge into their pvp (and ensure they take a bit more damage if protecting in pve) and just keep it as simple as that?

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 am

I always liked the idea of having it imperfect. You cannot always protect who your protecting, stat/level based (but always with a chance of failure)? I never did like the way protect worked when it got changed (pally always hit if a player went for who you were protecting) and then you apply a dodge/parry chance for the pally.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Eyxom

Postby Eyxom » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:25 pm

I think guards might need a slight advantage in solo play. They're insane support but in solo-play, they're going to feel a little lack luster unless you're just using them for OAD runs since you can't use them to help level anymore.

Guardians are cooperative play by nature. Maybe you can enhance their abilities as a cooperative unit. Give them a spell that buffs teammates atk/stam slightly for a short period? Or give them a long CD spell that gives some kind of bubble?

I realize those might be out of balance... but if guardians aren't solo-play style to begin with, it might be better to just highlight or enhance their cooperative abilities.
"Now I have become Death, destroyer of worlds." - Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:19 pm

If get a blade of light type weapon or a deathbane spell they will be the best by far solo. Even without deathbane they can steal heal undead for exp which should yield good exp. I would suggest a weaker version of deathbane

Return to “Archive Chat”