Site Admin

Progress

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:50 am

Check the last post.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Progress

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:37 am

I'm getting closer to a general release. I still need to get the buttons quickly working (and scalable for shops), and then the inventory at least to a viewable order.

Once those two things are done I will release a basic version where you can move around and do some minor things. All the things will still be in (From SOE, like inventory usage and equipping, but some of it will be disabled. It wont' take long to get it all going though.)

I intend to release so people can at least start plotting areas out. So don't expect much yet.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:25 pm

Good deal I wanna put Honey Cut Bog ingame....just dreamed it up last night haha.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:37 pm

NiteHawk wrote:I'm getting closer to a general release. I still need to get the buttons quickly working (and scalable for shops), and then the inventory at least to a viewable order.

Once those two things are done I will release a basic version where you can move around and do some minor things. All the things will still be in (From SOE, like inventory usage and equipping, but some of it will be disabled. It wont' take long to get it all going though.)

I intend to release so people can at least start plotting areas out. So don't expect much yet.

Any idea when you might be thinking? Also what is outsiders can gather to help the process? Like what you want to work on next that we can help with?

I feel like all the damage formulas follow the same algorithms or close to would a page of all the skills broken down by that in one place be helpful or is that in the works somewhere else?

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Lateralus wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:I'm getting closer to a general release. I still need to get the buttons quickly working (and scalable for shops), and then the inventory at least to a viewable order.

Any idea when you might be thinking? Also what is outsiders can gather to help the process? Like what you want to work on next that we can help with?

I feel like all the damage formulas follow the same algorithms or close to would a page of all the skills broken down by that in one place be helpful or is that in the works somewhere else?

It would be handy to have the formulas written down in a place. I don't have any quarrels with people seeing them.

In terms of time, sometime next week early or during the weekend, hopefully. I'm not sure on data gathering just yet though other then what I've wrote so far.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:00 pm

NiteHawk wrote:It would be handy to have the formulas written down in a place. I don't have any quarrels with people seeing them.

Honestly just looking at these skills and formulas they aren't very complex but don't seem to follow much of a standard format. I think they are going to be pretty tedious to implement and figure out.

Id really suggest that once we have the game up and have a few small areas we test each class (one or two at a time) and adjust as we test. I say this because we dont have the formulas so I think a lot of it is going to be based on feel. If we test like this I think its going to be a lot easier than taking input from 10 or so classes at once and trying to re balance/modify. Another plus to this is once we get some of the formulas down for one class it should make moving to another class a bit easier.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Lateralus wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:It would be handy to have the formulas written down in a place. I don't have any quarrels with people seeing them.

Honestly just looking at these skills and formulas they aren't very complex but don't seem to follow much of a standard format. I think they are going to be pretty tedious to implement and figure out.

Id really suggest that once we have the game up and have a few small areas we test each class (one or two at a time) and adjust as we test. I say this because we dont have the formulas so I think a lot of it is going to be based on feel. If we test like this I think its going to be a lot easier than taking input from 10 or so classes at once and trying to re balance/modify. Another plus to this is once we get some of the formulas down for one class it should make moving to another class a bit easier.

I think most spells are primitive though. Most spells are dependent only on a value on your INT & Level vs a damage modifier and thats it.

Modifier = Min(MaxIncrement, (Int/2) + Level)
FinalValue = Rand(Modifier-2, Modifier+2)
Damage = BaseDamage * (FinalValue*IncrementDamage)

(Min() returns the lower value.)
Something stupid like that. So Lets say we have Burst. Base damage is 50, Incremental Damage is 2, Max increment is 30. I have a characater with 22 in, at level 1

Modifier = Min(30, (22/2) + 1)
Modifier = 12

FinalValue = Rand(12-2, 12+2)
FinalValue = Rand(10,14) //Roll a random chance from 10 to 14. So 5 gaps. Can be larger or smaller depending on the amount of increments. Lets say for the sake of it we roll a 12.
FinalValue = 12 //Rolled a 12!

Damage = 50 + (12*2)
Damage = 64 //Damage would be between 60 to 68.. (60, 62, 64, 66, 68)

Let's say same thing as above, But level 10.

Modifier = Min(30, (22/2) + 10)
Modifier = 22

FinalValue = Rand(22-2, 22+2)
FinalValue = Rand(20,24) //Rolled a 22
FinalValue = 22

Damage = 50 + (22*2)
Damage = 94 // Damage would be between 90-98)

Now lets say level 20

Let's say same thing as above, But level 20.

Modifier = Min(30, (22/2) + 20)
Modifier = 30 //We capped out at 30, we would of had 32 otherwise. This means we hit max damage at level 18. So level 18-25 will always return 30.

FinalValue = Rand(30-2, 30+2)
FinalValue = Rand(28,32) //Rolled a 30
FinalValue = 30

Damage = 50 + (30*2)
Damage = 110 // Damage would be between 106-114) .. THIS IS MAX DAMAGE.

Obviously there is a little more then what I'm saying here, but I think that's the general basis of it. I don't think it's to difficult. Each spell just needs modifiers for everything in a formula like the above. The incremental needs to be capped not the actual damage, so that there is still some damage difference and they're not just hitting max damage every hit.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Yea the above looks pretty good it was just weird to go back and see all the different kind of spells and how each class sometimes had different damage and variances (paladin druid and cleric curel all acted different i believe).

Also spells like deathbane where i just remember hit really hard with ammy not so hard without but both cleric and paladian had diff values.

another thing was the oddity of 21int = 20int for some reason (I really hope we can change that to not be the case)

Also stats above 23 acting different than stats 23 and below on damage formulas (wouldnt mind seeing that changed either just so things can be more simple)

anyways it seems like you have the formula down. just wanted to point out some stuff.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Lateralus wrote:Yea the above looks pretty good it was just weird to go back and see all the different kind of spells and how each class sometimes had different damage and variances (paladin druid and cleric curel all acted different i believe).

Also spells like deathbane where i just remember hit really hard with ammy not so hard without but both cleric and paladian had diff values.

another thing was the oddity of 21int = 20int for some reason (I really hope we can change that to not be the case)

Also stats above 23 acting different than stats 23 and below on damage formulas (wouldnt mind seeing that changed either just so things can be more simple)

anyways it seems like you have the formula down. just wanted to point out some stuff.

I can only assume they had class modifiers on the final value I.E cleric could be Final Value * 1.1. But I don't think we should do that. The spells themselves should be balanced to be the same as they were pre-AGI nerf.

I thinkt he 21int = 20 int is due to one of the formulas rounding down since it must not gain enough to make the difference. If we wanted each stat to always make a difference I'd probably do:

Modifier = Min(MaxIncrement, Int + (Level*2))
FinalValue = Rand(Modifier-2, Modifier+2)
Damage = BaseDamage * (FinalValue*IncrementDamage)

Then, and have lower incremental increases. There does need to be a cap on INT gain though. We don't want people using potions that give 99 INT and dealing mega damage. I think ROK capped it at around 28 or 30. I don' think what I have is the correct formula, it still needs adjusting, but I mean, it should work for this case. I dont think the formula needs to change with stats above 23 though.

Or we just be careful with released items and ensure theres no potions that give 99 INT for example, and have no cap limit. Maybe have a special rare potion that grants 20 INT for 1 minute as a mosh reward for example randomly. That might work better in that regard. Cap would be 99 then.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:31 pm

sounds like you are on the right track just wanted to point out some oddities :D

Return to “Archive Chat”