1 Character

What should the online character limit be for one person?

69%
31%

Total votes: 32
Lateralus

1 Character

Postby Lateralus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:30 pm

So I know most of you are not going to be fans of this suggestion but I think it might be the single most important aspect of the game succeeding and here is why.

We are going to want to attract new players and limiting people to playing 1 character is going to be critical in that. New players shouldnt have to worry about mulitple windows when starting and vets shouldnt have an advantage over them because they do play more than one. By limiting to 1 character it makes the game soo much more approachable and really adds to the RP aspect of the game as well.

We have a fresh start and a chance to build the game around this 1 character limit rather than how the game before was slowly built around alts. Towards the end of rok it was nearly impossible to level solo just because of how the game was built for alts but if we start it right I dont see this being a problem at all.

While I know rok is unique there really arnt successful games that allow more than 1 character (you can multibox in a few but the general playerbase doesn't).

So yes let the flaming begin but I really think this should be considered. Look past your wants for rok and consider the future of it.

I use to actively recruit for rok and when i introduced people to the game it went a little something like this: OK pick your class and then make a paladin too because without playing atleast 2 characters you really dont have a chance. It really shouldnt be like that.

damaji

Re: 1 Character

Postby damaji » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:15 pm

You've got my vote for this as well. Everything is easier to balance and it makes utility classes much beloved. The whole point of the game, to me, is to be an in-game version of Me, not this me, that me, the other me.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:27 pm

As long as I can have multiple chars In my account I am down for the 1 alt limit. Just make sure joey can log his hats from my account. IP based? Lol

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:28 pm

I'm all for a single alt logged in at a time limit. There may need to be something worked out for the case where two or more people are playing from the same IP, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

On the other hand, trying to recruit new people by telling them how they need to play the game is (to be very blunt) a stupid thing to do for any game. When I first started on ROK, I had much more fun with the game when I was just leveling my thief, even if I wasn't particularly "good" at the game. Then people told me I needed a paladin if I was going to do anything at all, and they refused to let up on it, so I forced myself to stop leveling a thief I was having fun playing in order to level a paladin that I didn't want. Then I needed a sorcerer, because no one wants someone on OADs who isn't running a guard/chanter combo unless they absolutely have to have another class. Even with BOTH of those things, I still wasn't "doing it right" by their standards - my guardian was half-elf instead of halfling, my sorcerer was an elf instead of gnome, and I stopped having any kind of fun because I kept hearing I was playing the game wrong. I didn't start having fun on ROK again until I literally told everyone to go eat a dick and went back to playing my way.

Which has very little to do with the topic, but I felt that needed to be said.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:30 pm

damaji wrote:You've got my vote for this as well. Everything is easier to balance and it makes utility classes much beloved. The whole point of the game, to me, is to be an in-game version of Me, not this me, that me, the other me.

Thats exactly how I see it as well. I really love the RP aspect of the game and I feel like it loses a lot of that when you are running alts.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Rodeo wrote:As long as I can have multiple chars In my account I am down for the 1 alt limit. Just make sure joey can log his hats from my account. IP based? Lol

Of course on multiple account characters and I assume Chris will implement a vault type feature so transferring items between characters can be done very easily.

Dorgon

Postby Dorgon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Lateralus wrote:
Rodeo wrote:As long as I can have multiple chars In my account I am down for the 1 alt limit. Just make sure joey can log his hats from my account. IP based? Lol

Of course on multiple account characters and I assume Chris will implement a vault type feature so transferring items between characters can be done very easily.

I'm all for one alt at a time, and I love the idea of a vault to transfer items between them. Just in case I haven't said it lately, you guys are awesome!!!@

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Yeah the vaults already in place but needs to be linked I think to all characters. Maybe not though, it might work as intended. I don't remember :P

In terms of 1 character. I think that's 'ok' if people feel that should be the max. I was actually thinking 2 characters limit for the purpose of leveling. 3 is too much. However if we go with one only, that's okay too. I just worry about things like leveling getting a bit to painful for classes that can't heal and must use potions which are often costly.

The benefit obviously with 1 character is balance. You can balance OADS for example alot easier. But again, two would be fine too as long as its never changed from that. I think either or ROK was never balanced for the amount of characters it allowed, it was a bit of a mess with that.

Either or I'm going to convert this post to a poll, just have a quick vote.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:36 pm

NiteHawk wrote:Yeah the vaults already in place but needs to be linked I think to all characters. Maybe not though, it might work as intended. I don't remember :P

In terms of 1 character. I think that's 'ok' if people feel that should be the max. I was actually thinking 2 characters limit for the purpose of leveling. 3 is too much. However if we go with one only, that's okay too. I just worry about things like leveling getting a bit to painful for classes that can't heal and must use potions which are often costly.

The benefit obviously with 1 character is balance. You can balance OADS for example alot easier. But again, two would be fine too as long as its never changed from that. I think either or ROK was never balanced for the amount of characters it allowed, it was a bit of a mess with that.

For me 2alts might as well be 10atls just the more than 1 window really takes away from the RP experience and is discouraging to new players. If this game succeeds and I think it will we are going to be the minority of the player base. We need these new players and with anything above 1 character it's just a huge turnoff I'm most cases. :/

As for the trouble leveling solo that is a builder design thing. If the game content areas npcs items are built knowing it's a solo character thing its shouldn't be much of a problem.

All that said building should be a lot easier to instead of trying to build some areas for Alts and some for solo. Everything just kind of turns into Alts like how old Rok was.
Last edited by Lateralus on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dorgon

Postby Dorgon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 pm

NiteHawk wrote:Yeah the vaults already in place but needs to be linked I think to all characters. Maybe not though, it might work as intended. I don't remember :P

Didn't think about 2. 2 it should be!!

Return to “Archive Chat”