33%
One pet (1 pet that is more powerful)
67%

Total votes: 18
NiteHawk
Site Admin

Pets

Postby NiteHawk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Someone brought up that to simplify things, you should only have one pet, not several.

The benefits of this is that it will help reduce server latency (though not by much), it'll be easier to deal with (SS'ing it, etc), and it makes the player listing alot easier to handle when there is several monsters around. Pets would be easier to balance too.

For example, on Sorcs, I would take one golem, give it three attacks, and multiple everything by three. MP cost would probably be x3 as well, etc.

The only real negative to this that I can see if that you can't kill reduce the damage on monsters faster. I.E. Necro has 5 monsters out. You can kill 2 of them and reduce the damage by 2/5rd against you. With only one monster, it would either be 'full damage' or 'dead', obviously. It also is a little bit less lorey, but isn't so bad. It also helps to negate more damage per pet.***

Says?

***EDIT: We can just use the knights taunt effect on pets to generate more attacks against it so it simulates 3 or 5 monsters.

Cynic

Re: Pets

Postby Cynic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:11 pm

NiteHawk wrote:Someone brought up that to simplify things, you should only have one pet, not several.

The benefits of this is that it will help reduce server latency (though not by much), it'll be easier to deal with (SS'ing it, etc), and it makes the player listing alot easier to handle when there is several monsters around. Pets would be easier to balance too.

For example, on Sorcs, I would take one golem, give it three attacks, and multiple everything by three. MP cost would probably be x3 as well, etc.

The only real negative to this that I can see if that you can't kill reduce the damage on monsters faster. I.E. Necro has 5 monsters out. You can kill 2 of them and reduce the damage by 2/5rd against you. With only one monster, it would either be 'full damage' or 'dead', obviously. It also is a little bit less lorey, but isn't so bad.

Says?

Personally I'd prefer numeral pets so that a sorc can solo easily and avoid damage much as possible. However, I can see your point of view of having just a beefy one. I'm actually on the fence with my decision honestly. I'll check back for others feedback.

Maker

Postby Maker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:13 pm

I like the idea of a single pet for how much less hassle running a sorc or necro would be. But multiple summoned pets are also good for reducing the odds that you'll be attacked over one of your pets when in a high damage oad situation. So a single pet would be a trade off: Easier to use/keep track of, less likely of diverting attacks away from you.

Grahf

Postby Grahf » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Id like to keep it the same it has been. 5 across the board.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Cynic wrote:Personally I'd prefer numeral pets so that a sorc can solo easily and avoid damage much as possible. However, I can see your point of view of having just a beefy one. I'm actually on the fence with my decision honestly. I'll check back for others feedback.

Did not think about the damage, I added that to the cons. It's actually a pretty big change then :P

Kawasaki

Postby Kawasaki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:31 pm

With the damage that the sorc/necro can do without the pets I think having multiple pets makes them more tank like, where if you think about it the sorc in particular is designed as a glass cannon, high damage output with a little bit squishy.

I think that having one pet in general to take care of would make it a lot easier to handle especially if the game ever goes mobile.

Zilveari

Postby Zilveari » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:33 pm

I like what we had discussed previously where Rangers get one pet that grows along with them. While spellcasters don't have pets, they summon familiars/hordes. Maybe also let Druids summon a Dryad or Nymph or something that does some small healing.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Zilveari wrote:I like what we had discussed previously where Rangers get one pet that grows along with them. While spellcasters don't have pets, they summon familiars/hordes. Maybe also let Druids summon a Dryad or Nymph or something that does some small healing.

Yeah that's already set for rangers. It'll be a super buddy pretty much.

Maker

Postby Maker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:44 pm

Zilveari wrote:I like what we had discussed previously where Rangers get one pet that grows along with them.

This would be cool. Also a way to "store" an alternate would be nice, in case you want to switch between for different purposes. I know it slightly messes with the rp, but could be really useful for the class.

Thoth

Postby Thoth » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:45 pm

I think I would prefer it to remain the same because for me pets are a great meat shield dividing the chances of getting hit between the number of people/pets in the party. For me it's the entire reason TO have pets and have them remain useful. I see the upside of having one really strong pet but in the end the cons in the aspect outweigh the pros.

For rangers it could even be a split possibility at having weaker pets it can tame but still have the pokeball idea as discussed since Rangers by their nature should have every possibility of an animal of a sort by its side.
Thoth, the original creator of the video game.

Driab wrote:What good is power if you can't use it when it is completely unnecessary?

Also....Thoth = Byr

Return to “Archive Chat”