What is the point?

Remnant

What is the point?

Postby Remnant » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Sincerely, what is the goal of this project? I've been trying to inspire the creation of something new but it seems most here just want a simple clone or knockoff.

I can't find any topics that are actually about Ember. What is Ember? Does the name have meaning? Is it simply a nod to the glowing coals of a once raging fire? Do you really want to rekindle that fire? Do you really want to live in the past?

What is the point?
I am a remnant of things long past, of things that lingered but could not last.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: What is the point?

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Remnant wrote:Sincerely, what is the goal of this project? I've been trying to inspire the creation of something new but it seems most here just want a simple clone or knockoff.

I can't find any topics that are actually about Ember. What is Ember? Does the name have meaning? Is it simply a nod to the glowing coals of a once raging fire? Do you really want to rekindle that fire? Do you really want to live in the past?

What is the point?

You're right, most people want a clone. A clone however that works and is maintained. Ember was just a name we came up with. Though I have some ideas for Embers and how they could work for the game.

They have no meaning just yet other then 'embers being embers'. It's up to you guys to make it interesting and we'll attempt to make it work. I think it could be rather an interesting concept for the game.

The goal is to add more and make the game different after we get everything going, but initially it's going to be similar to ROK in regards to simplicity and how the game worked. I have some good ideas but they'll be added slowly. The objective is to keep the game simple, as it should be.

Thoth

Postby Thoth » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Remnant wrote:Sincerely, what is the goal of this project? I've been trying to inspire the creation of something new but it seems most here just want a simple clone or knockoff.

What is the point?

If you want the history of how/why this all began maybe you should read the "Chris make a clone" thread on RoK's website. That should answer your question a little bit if the topic title doesn't.
Thoth, the original creator of the video game.

Driab wrote:What good is power if you can't use it when it is completely unnecessary?

Also....Thoth = Byr

Remnant

Postby Remnant » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Thoth wrote:If you want the history of how/why this all began maybe you should read the "Chris make a clone" thread on RoK's website. That should answer your question a little bit if the topic title doesn't.

I don't care how it began. I only care how it ends.

What do you want? A clone? Or something different?
I am a remnant of things long past, of things that lingered but could not last.

Mujahideen

Postby Mujahideen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Remnant wrote:
Thoth wrote:If you want the history of how/why this all began maybe you should read the "Chris make a clone" thread on RoK's website. That should answer your question a little bit if the topic title doesn't.

I think most people want a game similar to rok that is maintained and updated.
Troll. I am here to create the issues that plague the game, I will push your buttons and like the outcome.

Zeroun

Postby Zeroun » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Mujahideen wrote:
Remnant wrote:

I think most people want a game similar to rok that is maintained and updated.

Muja hit the nail right on the head. I mean me personally I'd just like a clone, but that's not reasonable. I didn't keep up with RoK's lore anyway so I don't necessarily care too much for the details as long as it makes sense. That's just me though.

Thoth

Postby Thoth » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Personally I want world peace. Also I want a neverending bowl. A shot of rum that never emptys.

For the game.....I want consensus. Thus far consensus seems to be based on having RoK back as the threads of where this all began state. Since that isn't an option I want a basic recreation of what we had with less cracks, dings, and sharp edges. Seems that is what we are getting thus far so ask me again what I want so I can refer you to the above statement.

Oh....I also just want to write areas like I used to and help with quests like I used to and build OADs like I used to work on other people's projects like I used to and run events for people like I used to.

I basically want the playerbase to yell at me and tell me how great new things are or how much they hate and despise it because it isn't their way. I miss that....

:cry:
Thoth, the original creator of the video game.

Driab wrote:What good is power if you can't use it when it is completely unnecessary?

Also....Thoth = Byr

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Thoth wrote:Personally I want world peace. Also I want a neverending bowl. A shot of rum that never emptys.

For the game.....I want consensus. Thus far consensus seems to be based on having RoK back as the threads of where this all began state. Since that isn't an option I want a basic recreation of what we had with less cracks, dings, and sharp edges. Seems that is what we are getting thus far so ask me again what I want so I can refer you to the above statement.

Oh....I also just want to write areas like I used to and help with quests like I used to and build OADs like I used to work on other people's projects like I used to and run events for people like I used to.

I basically want the playerbase to yell at me and tell me how great new things are or how much they hate and despise it because it isn't their way. I miss that....

:cry:

Amen

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Mujahideen wrote:I think most people want a game similar to rok that is maintained and updated.

I agree. Rok was great and without clueless developer the sky would have been the limit. Pretty much everything worked in Rok and with out bad management decisions we would still be enjoying it.

There are plenty of other text based MUDs with their own game systems but this is the community of Rok that wants roks systems back. Yes we will have a new name and new areas but I think the goal here is to recreate all those old systems since that's what worked.

Return to “Archive Chat”