'Legendary NPC'

NiteHawk
Site Admin

'Legendary NPC'

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:05 pm

These are super NPCs that can appear at a location, or randomly during some sort of time per day.

The idea of this is simple, an unique NPC that has special attacks, and might take more then one day to kill. My first one will be a dragon.

The dragon will come down for X amount of time, before flying away. It's data is saved for another day so that you can continue the fight afterwards. When it does die, it will drop epics. It will take a week to respawn.

Overall the NPC I made was something for fun and to test this theory out. It is pretty tough, so it might be a post-wipe thing for most, but it does unique things. I normally won't tell you the fun it does, but this time I will let you know some minor details and hints.

-He has several unique attacks
--Claws> Heavy physical attack
--Dragon's Breath> Deals heavy breathe damage.
--Flight> Takes off to the sky! While in the sky, it is hard to deal damage or hit it. He will come down after some time. There might be a way to bring it down though easier.. Hint.
--Grab> Grab and paralyse a target. Will focus on said target until released or dead.
--Squeeze> Squeezes a grabbed target. No prevention and deals 80% damage every attack.
--Tail Whip> Attacks everyone with it's tail. Removes a portion of your HP. I will not spoil this one, but there is a (easy) way to avoid the heavy damage. If you fail to avoid, there is a chance his tail will throw you to another room, which will paralyze you for a couple rounds.
--Roar> Everyone in the room is silenced and cannot use spells for a few turns.

It's close to done, but still needs some work on a couple things, mainly how to get it to spawn and when. He'll be a real treat though, and something different from the normal. There will be an announcement of where he is when hes around.

Most of this is to show off the scripting capabilities as well.

nitestalker

Re: 'Legendary NPC'

Postby nitestalker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:10 pm

This sounds awesome, I hope I will be around when it spawns!

Mujahideen

Postby Mujahideen » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:43 pm

Epic
Troll. I am here to create the issues that plague the game, I will push your buttons and like the outcome.

Aieron

Postby Aieron » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:51 pm

Love this!

Few thoughts / questions:

- With scripting could you have these Legendary NPCs reward players in multiple ways? (Example: Most damage done over the life of that current spawn of the NPC). This is a lot of data to store, so I'm assuming it isn't feasible.
- Could we team up / heal the NPC and be rewarded in some way?

I like the idea of going rogue and helping the dragon slaughter all the players. In RoK you could do this in some of the larger staff run quest, but the NPC would still kill you, unless they invited you to the party. I'm guessing it would suck to store data like Player X has healed me XXX amount, so I won't target them (attacking would bring this to 0 again). I'm trying to think of better ways to do this, but I thought I'd share the idea for discussion!

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:49 am

Aieron wrote:Love this!

Few thoughts / questions:

- With scripting could you have these Legendary NPCs reward players in multiple ways? (Example: Most damage done over the life of that current spawn of the NPC). This is a lot of data to store, so I'm assuming it isn't feasible.
- Could we team up / heal the NPC and be rewarded in some way?

I like the idea of going rogue and helping the dragon slaughter all the players. In RoK you could do this in some of the larger staff run quest, but the NPC would still kill you, unless they invited you to the party. I'm guessing it would suck to store data like Player X has healed me XXX amount, so I won't target them (attacking would bring this to 0 again). I'm trying to think of better ways to do this, but I thought I'd share the idea for discussion!

I think the idea of helping it rather then going rogue *though you could* would be more unattended in this way. I think what you want would be more of a quest type thing where if you help or attack it, the quest or even the world can shape on what actions the player do. I agree on this though, I think its a good idea. But for what I'm talking about it's more needing to be unwatched and something all the players can do. One of those things that help make the world not so boring without staff intervention.

I think the most damage done might be an interesting thing, but it isn't possible yet. I think it would be okay in the future but What would be needed is a way to store the data obviously, and a way to reward other then drops.

Maybe the prestige point system could come into play here. I'm sure alot of you seen it in your account login screen. Prestige points were meant for events and other things, but could be given out for things like this too. I think it would be a bit hard to give out items directly, specially if the player who deals the most damage isn't on. But when I work on the PP system I think we should probably do something like this for these types of 'more then one day' mobs on top of a simple drop or two.

Cerebrus

Postby Cerebrus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:52 am

I was thinking, would it be possible for the drops from a legendary to go straight into the inventory of the person who got Killshot?

Otherwise you're gonna have assassins and thieves who put in no effort standing by waiting for a drop only to steal it

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:58 am

Cerebrus wrote:I was thinking, would it be possible for the drops from a legendary to go straight into the inventory of the person who got Killshot?

Otherwise you're gonna have assassins and thieves who put in no effort standing by waiting for a drop only to steal it

Something that could eventually be done but won't be yet. Yeah.

Aieron

Postby Aieron » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:11 pm

NiteHawk wrote:
Cerebrus wrote:I was thinking, would it be possible for the drops from a legendary to go straight into the inventory of the person who got Killshot?

Not like killshot is really "earning" it neither. Pretty big debate about the right method for this kind of thing lol.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:54 am

Aieron wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:

Not like killshot is really "earning" it neither. Pretty big debate about the right method for this kind of thing lol.

Honestly I think the PP system could be something that works here, and then people ca pick what they want based on that. Everyone wins. Based on total damage.

The drop that this thing gives, we could just leave it to how ROK has always done it, and all that. Be ready for it? 8) It might of been a big fight about it but honestly I think it's one of the things that made ROK to be honest.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:26 am

NiteHawk wrote:
Aieron wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:

Honestly I think the PP system could be something that works here, and then people ca pick what they want based on that. Everyone wins. Based on total damage.

The drop that this thing gives, we could just leave it to how ROK has always done it, and all that. Be ready for it? 8) It might of been a big fight about it but honestly I think it's one of the things that made ROK to be honest.

Yea it always always a chance if you had fast fingers you could benifit. Was always intestine to see how things would unfold.

Return to “Archive Chat”