Tomb caught botting and is now a Staff Member?

Honzo

Re: Tomb caught botting and is now a Staff Member?

Postby Honzo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:14 pm

I see where people may be a little upset by it, but people do make mistakes. Giving people a chance to redeem themselves or show remorse for their errors can definitely help begin to prove a persons true intentions. We've all made them, so I am not opposed to giving him another chance - not that anyone else (other than NH) has a say so anyways. :) It's a game that we get for free, can put our own thoughts and input in to it and we have a direct line to the dev. He was punished or reprimanded for cheating right?

Trust in NH! He has full control, and like he said he can always can him if need be - that he was on a tight leash. Also, thanks to him and everyone else who has made contributions to making this game better and better every chance possible ^_^

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:56 pm

I think it's great that we can all openlytalj about this In public makes me feel better about the direction of the game.

Drasp

Postby Drasp » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 pm

I suppose my greatest concern overall is that I don't want anyone on staff utilizing any insider access to gain a view of the game that, as an alt, others don't have access to. This was already expressed once, but I'd like to add on to it. Can staff look up accounts to view alts and that sort of thing? I feel like that should be discouraged if being used for non-staff purposes. People should be able to create, delete, and access alts without having someone peer into who they are.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:14 pm

Drasp wrote:I suppose my greatest concern overall is that I don't want anyone on staff utilizing any insider access to gain a view of the game that, as an alt, others don't have access to. This was already expressed once, but I'd like to add on to it. Can staff look up accounts to view alts and that sort of thing? I feel like that should be discouraged if being used for non-staff purposes. People should be able to create, delete, and access alts without having someone peer into who they are.

Well, I will be upfront about this and state that certain staff members do have the ability to see alts. They cannot look up accounts directly though, but they can see the alt listing of said account from the player. I do agree it needs to be moderated though, I might up the ranking on the ability on this one, but I don't see anyone abusing it thus far. Remember that I do log everything, it is very obvious when someone is abusing commands like this though.

There are a few reasons that they should be able to see alts, it's mostly to do with potential abuse/bypassing the server though.

dunky

Postby dunky » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:35 pm

It's great that so many people are optimistic about the whole thing, and that will hopefully work for the better and not the worse. I'm still pessimistic about it and just knowing that this guy was promoted to staff and is making new areas makes me less inclined to want to even explore those areas. There's a taint there in my mind that isn't going to go away unless he does, and I realistically know that is not going to happen so I just choose to not open the game when I think about playing.

Obviously my opinion is not the same as others, and it may not even be right. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but when something doesn't sit right with me, I tend to not associate with it. I like this game and don't really want that to happen, but it's already started.

Maybe I'm just being dramatic but I really don't feel like I am. I don't really feel like pushing the issue further than this because I also think that doing so would just mean I'm whining. I really don't want people to think that I'm whining for fun.

Drasp

Postby Drasp » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:43 pm

dunky wrote:It's great that so many people are optimistic about the whole thing, and that will hopefully work for the better and not the worse. I'm still pessimistic about it and just knowing that this guy was promoted to staff and is making new areas makes me less inclined to want to even explore those areas. There's a taint there in my mind that isn't going to go away unless he does, and I realistically know that is not going to happen so I just choose to not open the game when I think about playing.

Obviously my opinion is not the same as others, and it may not even be right. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but when something doesn't sit right with me, I tend to not associate with it. I like this game and don't really want that to happen, but it's already started.

Maybe I'm just being dramatic but I really don't feel like I am. I don't really feel like pushing the issue further than this because I also think that doing so would just mean I'm whining. I really don't want people to think that I'm whining for fun.

I believe in some level of forgiveness to see if it is learned behavior or if it is misinterpretation/misguided intentions.

I mean, I was taken to court at age 20 for petty larceny. Now I manage a team of employees and essentially $1.5 million worth of tuition revenue in prospective student accounts. I messed up when I was young because no one really slapped my wrist and guided my behavior. It took that one incident to change my direction.

Obviously that is a much more grand scheme and picture than ember online, therefor I'm not terribly bothered by this.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:53 am

I think alot of people base this off ROK and the security flaws that it had. This isn't ROK and I 'am' an active admin monitoring everything. Staff regardless on who it is, have a tight leash around them when it comes to building, using commands, etc etc. The scenarios are completely different in this case.

While I hope you do continue to play the game, I hope eventually you and a few others understand that I would not let this game become what happened to ROK (Specifically pre-crash when it was corrupt world gallore.) I am around and I would slam down anyone that would attempt to do so. I pick people based on what they can do for the game, and I do think he can do alot for the game, regardless of what happened here. This does not mean he is out of the woods, or that I'm not watching him closely, but he's done alot with the work to benefit the game, and I think his additions in turn will make builders work alot faster and get more content in... Making them also get burnt out less fast, which will draw in more people to the game. But obviously this would not outweight something like, a staffer abusing their position and doing things like what some staffers would attempt to do, and they would be removed, regardless of what they did for the game. Theres a big difference to botting and taking a staff position for their own benefit and abusing it though. Though I am not condoning botting, and will still enforce my 1 warning/then removal. And I did not just pick him out of the blue, he's put in hundreds of hours of work on things.

Staffers are completely moderated though, regardless if they like it or not. On top of that, they have extra security checks, such as their account vaults being separate from regular vaults, cannot transfer staff, every action being logged, etc etc. I've made a lot of 'preventions' to ensure a clean game.

For building areas, I can understand the worry, but if there was any speak of babbling any area to others, they would not be staff either as I would remove them for this. I also take it seriously, specially when it comes to OADs. I'd probably be inclined to delete their new area if they released it too, just because they ruined the fun of it. As for people claiming that they could make super weapons/etc. It is impossible, it doesn't work that way in my game and never will. No builder has direct access to modify live files and can only use the dev area. If they move out of the dev area in game/log off/etc, all the items/etc are removed automatically, though you cannot equip dev items anyways. And once the area is in live mode after being checked by myself and a head builder, they cannot edit the area anymore and must submit individual changes through dropbox for checking/validation, which does take longer unfortunately, but it prevents issues from occurring.

Drasp

Postby Drasp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:40 am

/end thread.

Let's keep contributing to the game.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:51 am

This ain't a democracy. Its nitehawkracy. And if he wants Tomb to be a staffer, that goes.

Hell, to make things fun, it being a cheat should be a requirement for being a staffer... We all love the drama.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

Kenichi

Postby Kenichi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:58 am

Leash me daddy. :lol: <3

Return to “Archive Chat”