Tomb caught botting and is now a Staff Member?

Vindal

Tomb caught botting and is now a Staff Member?

Postby Vindal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Maybe someone can clear this up for me.

At one point Tomb was caught botting, correct? That isn't exactly a "secret".

But now after caught cheating the game he was made a Staff member?

Please someone tell me this is just the rumor mill talking and isn't actually true.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Tomb caught botting and is now a Staff Member?

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:29 pm

First off, it was my call. He already knows hes on a tight leash because of it and if he did anything remotely retarded he'd be removed like that again.

Second off, he has done a ton that you may not be aware of. He has made a huge progress on a world editor, which edits all files and even has a easy to click map editor. It's something he's been working on for a good while and I've been really happy about it. I apologize for adding these here to credit him if he didnt want it displayed, but I feel like it's justified.

The editor itself helps a big deal, specially the map editor with progressing things as right now it's mostly been manual file edit thing. He's also working on a very large and I would have to say amazing OAD that I think fairs with an OAD such as TOTD in ROK. He's pretty much proven himself with alot of the hard work he has done and I think he deserves a second chance because he's actively trying to make the game better and he's done so in a big deal.

So yeah, he has been given a chance. The amount of hours he's put into this and the work hes done make me feel like hes serious, and he wants this. Thanks.

Vindal

Postby Vindal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:40 pm

That is great that he has made a ton of contributions to the game. But this is a person that attempted to cheat it the first week the game was out. I am not comfortable putting time into a game and community that allows confirmed cheaters special privileges and advantages.

Thanks for all the hard work that you and the rest of the staff have put in, but today will be the last day I will be playing. It stinks too much of a world from before that many of us hated playing in.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Vindal wrote:That is great that he has made a ton of contributions to the game. But this is a person that attempted to cheat it the first week the game was out. I am not comfortable putting time into a game and community that allows confirmed cheaters special privileges and advantages.

Thanks for all the hard work that you and the rest of the staff have put in, but today will be the last day I will be playing. It stinks too much of a world from before that many of us hated playing in.

That is a pretty sad thing to say for someone who is going to most likely help benefit the game by a good amount. Sorry to see you go.

Botting and cheating are entirely different things. I am not condoning botting obviously, but as far as cheating goes or RMT or direct cheating theres a difference.

I think he will benefit the game greatly. And if he doesn't, I'll remove him. It's as easy as that.

Folder

Postby Folder » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Vindal wrote:That is great that he has made a ton of contributions to the game. But this is a person that attempted to cheat it the first week the game was out. I am not comfortable putting time into a game and community that allows confirmed cheaters special privileges and advantages.

I don't think this is worth quitting over bro. This is a different game than what rok turned into back in the day. NH is here, he communicates on a daily basis and only wants what's best for the game. I'm confident that if there are any issues because of this they will be dealt with.

I'm no fan of botting either but considering this was the 1st offense the game had and it's been dealt with I don't think we need to keep the pitchforks out. Hope you give it a second though!
<Silhouette>

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Folder wrote:

I don't think this is worth quitting over bro. This is a different game than what rok turned into back in the day. NH is here, he communicates on a daily basis and only wants what's best for the game. I'm confident that if there are any issues because of this they will be dealt with.

I'm no fan of botting either but considering this was the 1st offense the game had and it's been dealt with I don't think we need to keep the pitchforks out. Hope you give it a second though!

I agree, he was stupid to do so but he has done alot since that time and has not done stupid since. I am very impressed with his world editor. It's let alot of builders build about 5x faster now so things will be getting released alot quicker. The map editor is great as you can click to make a map, and then edit it and it creates the files. It's super cool. It also can do items, monsters, etc, etc.

I honestly think in this case, someone who's done this amount of work, does deserve another chance when it comes to it. You have to remember, as a builder, everything is also approved by me. People cannot just upload or change live files and cheat. Staff level 1 also does not grant anything special. There is absolutely no risk here, just to state. Theres a whole development system that works in game that prevents people from abuse. I know how ROK worked, I 100% know it won't happen here because of the system in place.

Again, he's done alot, he's still doing more, he's helping big time. And againx2, you cannot modify live files without my approval, there is nothing that doesn't get checked by me before it's added, simply put.

iced

Postby iced » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:07 pm

you are running with the assumption that chris is the same naive, and willfully ignorant, as those that came before him.

you are correct in that he is naive; however, he is not willfully ignorant. his naivety can also be a boon as it means he has the opportunity to learn from another perspective, that of an all-powerful administrator, on how other people operate, how they disguise their modus operandi, and more importantly, how deceit and betrayal work. people will work to get close to him to take advantage of his position. he has this opportunity to learn how people will approach him, and through that betrayal he'll learn how to identify it and keep certain people at arms length and when to realize that someone already close to him is starting to twist his influence for their benefit. naivety is not always a bad thing.

why is that good? because he is not willfully ignorant. being willfully ignorant would be turning a blind eye to unethical behavior and cheating. you don't know the conversation that took place between the two of them. his naivety also allows him to make judgement calls like this and weigh the pro/con's as they unfold rather than cut out any potential positive results entirely.

every staff action is logged and monitored. every. single. one. they cannot live-edit or upload anything without chris clearing it personally to remove that possible avenue of corruption through build.

he is not willfully ignorant, and we had our own discussion about morals and ethical behavior.

let him be naive because it means he can grow without pure exclusion and outright tyrant behavior, because he is not willfully ignorant to negative behavior and actions and is prepared to take steps necessary to protect his investment and hobby.

i don't play, i have no intention to, but i think he has a pretty good outlook and path of development in line, and taking risks is part of that, and with good purpose.

consider that before you judge him within a month of him going official, and remember you do not know all of the facts from behind closed doors.

edit: him unlocking this thread and allowing it to stay unlocked should also show that he is not just shutting out the community and will allow open discussion, if it's even necessary, as long as it is not overtly hostile or toxic.

Folder

Postby Folder » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:18 pm

That was a well written post Iced, thanks.
<Silhouette>

dunky

Postby dunky » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:56 pm

I don't like it either. It's not like I play a whole lot, and I'm sure Nitehawk will rectify things if something happens. Thing is, that "if something happens" seems more likely in a situation like this. It's better to just not have him regardless of how willing he is to help. Not to mention wasn't he the first 25er? Haters will say its fake.

I'm not gonna up and say I'm quitting the game forever or anything like that, but my drive to play the game does take a slight hit.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Well, there is literally nothing he could do regardless. As Ry said, everything is logged, but on top of that, builders can't simply just add whatever items and rooms they want without my approval. It even gives a second check by Randal, just to state. Not saying he would do anything, but I'm throwing it out there.

In any case the world editor he has done is a big deal to me, it's increasing the productivity of the builders by triple or more. It makes it easy to get into and deal with, and it's very simple to use. I think having this vs not is the difference between our builders burning out or not. I would say relax and give him a chance to prove himself.

P.S. I will say once he was back in game, he did level his character fairly. That's pretty much it.

Return to “Archive Chat”