Suggesting the suggestion of a guildie and friend of mine regarding names.

Kismet

Suggesting the suggestion of a guildie and friend of mine regarding names.

Postby Kismet » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:07 am

What I've noticed in Ember, and most other online RPGs, is that the best names often get taken quickly and most end up never used. Perhaps to give everyone a chance at their availability, make it so that characters below level 20 are deleted within 3 months of inactivity? It would also make sense to have the ones who are level 20 and above survive a longer period... say, a year? 25ers, and later higher, should always remain in my humble opinion though.
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eld

Re: Suggesting the suggestion of a guildie and friend regarding names.

Postby Eld » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 am

How about for now the requirements would be:
Lvl 1, 0 exp, 0 gold, 0 items and 6 months without logging on that character?

The requirements could be tweaked further later to be more wide ranging when the game is older.

The questions is whether you'd also send an alert to the account holder that that particular character is going to get deleted or not.

Styx

Postby Styx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:33 am

Ummm no. The advantage of being at the start of the game is given the ability to pick favorite names.

Edit, I do think some might use a level 1 although just to guild invite etc but I would agree if level 1 with no experience then remove from server , so if level 8 or higher leave alone

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 am

The way nightmist used to work is that no matter what level your character was that after X amount of time if you had been inactive the char got deleted but after deletion you had say a year to restore the character and if the name was taken you had the option to rename it. This was all done via a website and it's still there for Chris to look at it he wants to add it to ember.

http://www.nightmist.co.uk/nmsite/
Far right character edit. Alot of useful things that would make gold somewhat valuable.

I agree that names shouldn't be held for years if people are not using them. Maybe this will get implemented.

Miach

Re: Suggesting the suggestion of a guildie and friend of mine regarding names.

Postby Miach » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Yes because names are a problem with the minimal playerbase we have...

Definitely something that should come up when the playerbase is bigger, but, as it stands, I don't see the point.

Eld

Postby Eld » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:54 am

Miach wrote:Yes because names are a problem with the minimal playerbase we have...

Definitely something that should come up when the playerbase is bigger, but, as it stands, I don't see the point.

I was of the understanding that it's our responsibility to suggest things to improve the game, we're getting the game ready for a bigger audience when the later parts of the grand plan happen.

This particular suggestion may not be priority #1, but something should probably be implemented along these lines before the game gets more exposure.

It's pretty frustrating wanting to use some of your main character names from RoK (or other games) and seeing someone has a 4 month old name holder that's still level 1.

Rodeo wrote:The way nightmist used to work is that no matter what level your character was that after X amount of time if you had been inactive the char got deleted but after deletion you had say a year to restore the character and if the name was taken you had the option to rename it. This was all done via a website and it's still there for Chris to look at it he wants to add it to ember.

http://www.nightmist.co.uk/nmsite/
Far right character edit. Alot of useful things that would make gold somewhat valuable.

I agree that names shouldn't be held for years if people are not using them. Maybe this will get implemented.

Good suggestion about borrowing some od these ideas from Nightmist, i didn't play that game much but when I did they certainly had some innovative ideas at the time (relative to RoK)
The main thing that put me off Nightmist was the overall feel of the game.

Their website does definitely have some useful features on it.

Styx

Postby Styx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:58 am

It's all linked to an account, just check if account has been idle for 6 months. The account hold all characters created by the person. That way if a person is active then they won't loose anything.

Folder

Postby Folder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:15 am

Miach wrote:Yes because names are a problem with the minimal playerbase we have...

No need to be rude if you don't like a suggestion, good grief. I like the idea as I think it's wasteful for people that don't play anymore to hold names.
<Silhouette>

Eld

Postby Eld » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Styx wrote:It's all linked to an account, just check if account has been idle for 6 months. The account hold all characters created by the person. That way if a person is active then they won't loose anything.

But if someone has had a name holder for 6 months and never used it do they still deserve to keep it? In a way it's almost worse if they're still active and haven't used it.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm

I like the way Nightmist does it, though I'd say after a certain level it shouldn't delete your name, but I like the idea that it frees character names without actually deleting the character, and then the person would have to rename it.

Return to “Archive Chat”